[Healeys] Auxiliary Electric Power Source

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 08:16:11 MDT 2009

Assuming your car is still positive ground ('wired as original'), you can
fabricate a power cable that reverses the hot and ground wires.  If the device
uses a 'barrel' type power connector--looks like the barrel of a very small
gun--the outside of the barrel is ground and the inside is hot, hence you'd
cross over the wires to the connector to get the correct polarity.  Keep in mind
the outside of the barrel connector will now be hot to your car, so if it
touches exposed metal you'll let the smoke out (put a plastic vacuum cap over it
when not in use).

Same story for the more complex connectors like used for cell phones.  Just
reverse the wires coming out of the cigarette lighter plug.  You'll probably
need a different cable for different devices, but that's the case anyway.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net