[Healeys] overdrive not working

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Sat Aug 15 07:21:52 MDT 2009

Jess,

First thing to keep in mind is that all BN1's have a centrifugal governor
switch on the overdrive which won't allow the o/d to engage under about 45
MPH. Also check for adequate oil level.
If that doesn't do it, open up the workshop manual and go through the
various electrical elimination steps outlined there. It's almost always an
electrical thing causing it not to engage.
Another simple way to isolate the problem is to remove the gearbox cover,
keeping the removable propshaft cover in place, and take the car out for a
drive. When in top gear, reach over to the right side of the o/d unit and
manually push the operating lever down to engage. This eliminates all the
electrical things that may go wrong, and tells you if it's an internal
problem or not.

Rich Chrysler