[Healeys] electric fan

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 14 03:30:04 MDT 2009

You will find this is one of the ways a modern car keeps its cool a little
better than our older ones.  This can be a good way of doing things if you
have a tendency to overheat because your cooling system is working on the
upper margins and the latent heat within the engine causes a boil over when
you have stopped forward motion and cooling airflow ceases.  If you didn't
have this problem before the new fan setup, there is no need to have it
wired up in the manner you have, you can put it back to the traditionalists
method where the feed is ignition switch controlled, you currently have it
so it is thermostat controlled.  The fan thermostat will turn the fan off
when it gets to its set temperature so your battery drain will not be great.
(If you trust your wiring and the thermostat. <smile>)

You will find the fan not working on some modern cars when you stop and then
a couple of minutes afterwards the fan will start working as the latent heat
builds up to the fans operating temperature.  This is quite normal and
expected.

If you are happy with the way your temperatures are, then you can either
leave it or, if you can alter the temperature setting so it 'comes on - goes
off' when it is a little hotter this will reduce the post engine shut down,
fan run time.

Guy R Day