[Healeys] colortune

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Aug 12 10:34:27 MDT 2009

Ken,

When the adjusting with the help of the Colortune is unresponsive you
may have a slightly sticking piston, damper oil (ATF or sewing machine
oil) not properly filled up, needle not properly adjusted and touching
the jet, worn throttle spindels or other false air source (e.g. leaking
servo, no restrictor in vacuum line etc). To overcome this disconnect
and block off the vacuum line at the manifold.

High-ish oil contamination will show up purple-ish, hard to distinguish
from running rich generally. But if that is the case you will have a
fairly high crankcase pressure and worn cilinders/pistons.

Problem with an exhaust gas analizing system is that you do not know
which carb is the problem as your measurements will give the average
reading of all cilinders unless you have an oxigen sensor for every
separate cilinder in a spagetti exhaust manifold..

Kees Oudesluijs
NL