[Healeys] Dropped the engine - source for manifold-carb studs?

Rick Swain rjswain at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 11 07:08:56 MDT 2009

While I haven't removed many Healey engines (mine 3 times and one other) I did
have a problem the last time. I had removed and replaced the engine alone
twice using therocker shaft/valve cover studs - no problem. I have the BMC
lifting brackets. This last time I lifted both engine and gearbox together -
again using the valve cover studs. No problem. However, when I went to replace
the engine and gearbox unit I had some trouble tightening the nuts down. It
appeared that the studs may have stretched - I was using two new nuts on each
stud.
I pulled the rocker shaft and used head studs instead - just in case. I bought
new valve cover studs.
Rick'59 BN4