[Healeys] Socket Drive Dimensions

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 3 10:35:50 MDT 2009

Andy,

We do go in and order in those sizes but are supplied with the nearest
metric equivalent because the sales and yard guys are sick and fed up with
converting dimensions for the 'punters' who are too slow, too thick or 'too
British' to alter their ways.  There are the few and far between woodyards
who will supply imperial but invariably you are charged the nearest metric
(over) price!

The reason is because we now import most of our timber pre-cut to metric
size and don't season and transform [cut from the tree] our own stuff.
Even the machinery that makes the pulped and laminated material we do make
over here is calibrated to make metric sizes because we don't make the
machinery in the UK any more.

If you go to a yard that seasons their own timber and talks of a 'timber
standard' [a volume of timber that varied dependant on the cut size] -
you'll get your wood cut to an imperial size!  (If you need floorboards to
re-build a listed house you may know what I mean.)

Guy R Day