[Healeys] How to fold a BN1/BN2 top behind the seats

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Thu Apr 30 17:43:14 MDT 2009

Josef,

The nasty folding marks are probably caused by the material being crimped
between the folding mechanism. This top frame can easily cause a scissor
like action along the sides if the hood material gets between the pieces.
When the hood header rail is brought back to the main bar, and the rear rail
comes forward, don't let the hood material fold down between too deeply, no
more than 6" or so. Keep the rear window as straight and flat as possible.
The left and right triangular shaped "ears" need to fold inboard as smoothly
and flat as possible making the fold as far inboard as the edge of the
window. For the final collapse of the hood frame, keep the window flat and
as vertical as possible. I try to tuck the portion between the bottom of the
window and the rear bar under so it's slightly tucked beneath the spare tire
envelope, rather than leave it hanging toward the tunnel or floor. Once it's
all down, there should be a further slight collapse posible to clear the
header bar from the seat backs better if you have the slotted side pivots
which were introduced part way through 1954.
Finally when everything is folded down the best possible, make sure the hold
down catches don't spear or dig into the tonneau cover when fitted. They can
be pivoted and turned down to clear hood material and tonneau cover.

Rich Chrysler