[Healeys] Rattling noise on hard acceleration

Warthodson at aol.com Warthodson at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 08:21:20 MDT 2009

Loose junk in the trunk (boot)?
Gary Hodson

In a message dated 4/29/2009 7:49:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
schauss at worldnet.att.net writes:

I have  had a number of good suggestions, most of which I have checked  out.

-  Broken spring or loose spring clip - None of my spring  leaves were
broken.  I did find a loose clip and tightened it but that  made no
difference.

-  Rear spring U-bolts - They are ok.

-  Rear shocks - They are tight.

-  Drive shaft  contacting the hand brake cable - It was not.

-  Drive shaft  contacting the nuts which hold the hand brake lever - It was
not.   There were no obvious shiny spots on the on the drive shaft to
indicate  that it had been hitting anything.

-  Splines on the wheel and hub  extension - These are OK.

-  U-joints on the driveshaft - I don't  feel any play in the drive shaft.
What should I be looking for  here?

-  Rear wheel bearings - I don't feel any play there and  they don't make
any
noise when I spin the rear wheels by hand.  Is  there any other way to check
them without taking them apart?

Any  other suggestions?

- Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7