[Healeys] Petronix II

James Lea clocks at midcoast.com
Tue Apr 28 12:35:27 MDT 2009

After many fruitless hours of searching, a new coil and a new Pertronix I
think  have found the problem. The clip on the outside of the distributor
cap ( the one that is impossible to see and hard to snap ) was bend enough
so that it would snap on when the  cap was not all the way down. The snap
would allow the cap to come loose on one side just enough to raise it enough
so that the rotor no longer passed the metal tabs correctly. That might also
allow the spring loaded center piece from the coil wire to no longer touch
the rotor. It is very hard to see when in place and not noticeable unless
you looked at the cap from the side.The gap was not more than 1/16" and only
on the one side of the cap. That's why when I fiddled with the cap trying to
find the problem it would start. After running for a while it would loosen
up without actually coming off and she would stop again. For now, I think
the problem is solved. If not you will not need the computer to hear me
bitching. Cheers, JL

James Lea
PO Box 25
Rockport Maine 04856