[Healeys] Subject: Re: healey overheating

Mark Schneider mandmschneider at comcast.net
Sun Apr 26 20:31:21 MDT 2009

Bob,

Most Brit cars seem to have a propensity to "run on" or diesel  after
killing the ignition.  It is a symptom of hot spots in the compression
cylinders.  actually glowing pieces or metal of combustion products
serving as unwanted spark plugs.  The way I have dealt with it also
fixed a couple of other problems at the same time.  For about 20 years
I have bought and keep on hand a gerry can of 110 octane  leaded race
gas.  I mix one gallon of race gas with 6 gallons of regular pump
gas.  This gives me a calculated octane rating of about 97.  Also, the
race gas runs cooler than regular unleaded gas and cleans the
combustion chambers so a point where no glowing bits remain.
Therfore, no running on. If you have access to aviation gas it works
the same way.   Finally, another way that doesn't involve the expense
of race gas or the safety issue of storing it is to simply leave the
car in gear and as you switch off the ignition slowly let your foot
off of the clutch.  As the clutch engages the drag on the engine will
stop it pretty much immediately.

Marks 3