[Healeys] Stripped Outlet on Fuel Pump

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 26 09:54:04 MDT 2009

I think the fuel components use Whitworth threads.  I've never seen a repair kit
for Whitworth stuff; if it exists you'll spend an arm and a leg for it.  I don't
know how you could jury-rig a "modern" repair--the banjo bolts are unique.  I
also haven't seen many old British car carcasses in any junk yards--at least in
the States--they've long since been picked over or salvaged (or crushed :(

Realistically, I think you're going to have to spring for a new pump.  If it's
the "square body" type well, there goes your other arm and leg (for some reason
the square body pumps are almost three times any other).  If you do end up
buying new, I recommend the SU electronic version.  I had niggling pump problems
for years--I have enough parts to put together two-and-a-half, probably--but
since installing an electronic SU I've had no problems in over 20K miles.  Worth
the extra $40 or so.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (at least, a unpleasant opinion).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net