[Healeys] Bonnet louvers

Freese, Ken Kendall.Freese at Aerojet.com
Mon Apr 20 14:01:22 MDT 2009

The production 100S had no need for louvres as a carburetors air source.
They have their own cold air box with trunking down to the grill. I
would think they were for hot air escape.
Ken Freese
100S Registrar

-----Original Message-----
From: healeys-bounces at autox.team.net
[mailto:healeys-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf Of John Harper
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 12:37 PM
To: Editorgary at aol.com
Cc: healeys at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Bonnet louvers

May I add more detail. As you say the Le Mans cars were not fitted with
louvers. However in the photographs Gary refers to the bonnets look up
at the back. When I ask Roger Menadue about this he said that they
slipped a piece of wood about 2" high under the back of the bonnet and
then relied on the safety catch to keep the bonnet closed. This he said
helped a great deal with the under bonnet temperature.

I have tried this myself and it does appear to help with fuel starvation

I have a BN1 100 Le Mans , modified at the Cape and this has no louvers.

In fact if you look at sales literature put out by the Donald Healey
Motor Company, no louvered bonnet was available on their price list.

A louvered bonnet does however appear in the later issues of the 100 BMC
Parts List but not in the first, pink paged, issue dated March 1954 so
it appears that BMC themselves did not recognise louvered bonnets on a
100 until after that date but I am sure that if you approached the
DHMoCo with enough cash they would sell or fit you one.

Regards

--
John Harper
_