[Healeys] Bonnet louvers

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 10:43:52 MDT 2009

In a message dated 4/20/09 8:48:23 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> can someone please explain to me why the 1954 Endurance Healey 100S did
> not have a louvered bonnet? It had just the 100S bonnet latches and a
> leather belt at 1/3 from the front of the bonnet and NO louvers in the
> bonnet. No thermal problems?
>

> Thanks enlightening me..

The louvers were NOT originally to deal with thermal problems. Roger
Moment, Tom Kovacs, and i spent some time looking at original pictures in Donald
and Geoffrey Healey's books, and have determined that the evolution was: No
louvers on the original 100s that raised at Le Mans (the original 100Ms),
louvers on ONE side of the bonnet on the 100S that raced at Sebring, clearly
cut there while on site, and pretty definitely to increase cool air going to
the carburetors. Then, when the 100S was put into production, louvers were
cut on both sides (because it looked better?) and fairly soon afterward, the
"100M" bonnets were produced with louvers cut in the same places.
Ergo: louvers were originally cut to increase air to the carbs, and
maintained because they looked "cool" whether or not they had any cooling effect on
the engine.
Gary