[Healeys] EPA Takes First Step

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 07:40:39 MDT 2009

Before everybody hits the panic button, you might want to look at the six
gasses they are talking about.
Carbon Dioxide is actually lower on an old car than it is on a new car.
Back in the day cars spewed out very high carbon monoxide emissions, and
therefore have very low carbon dioxide emissions.  The Cat converter on a
modern car converts the carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide. As far as global
warming goes my old LBC is greener than a 2009 model car.  Of course you
would not want to start an old LBC in an enclosed garage.  :-)
So you have a paradox.  Bad for smog = good for global warming.  Good for
smog = bqd for global warming.  So I guess the question becomes, do you want
to breathe, or use SPF 30,000 sunblock?
The other five gases listed are not used in automobiles (with the possible
exception of nitrous)

While I agree we need to ep our eyes open, I am not yet ready to freak out
over this.

Rick