[Healeys] EPA Takes First Step

HealeyRick healeyrick at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 07:36:29 MDT 2009

Greg,

I think SEMA SAN is pretty similar:
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/content/SEMASANcom/HomePage

Rick

--- On Sat, 4/18/09, Greg Lemon <glemon at neb.rr.com> wrote:
From: Greg Lemon <glemon at neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] EPA Takes First Step
To: Awgertoo at aol.com, thehartnetts at earthlink.net, healeys at autox.team.net
Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 8:36 AM

While it is a well know fact* that Al Gore invented the internet, it is less
well known that Jefferson invented e-mail.

On a more serious note a short while back when I wasn't sure where my
career was going I considered trying to start up a national assoction of car
clubs and perhaps the big players who make money off our hobby--not just
healeys
or british, but classic cars in general, to actively try to protect our hobby
from any government action negatively affecting the hobby at the federal and
local level.

We have a case that I think plays pretty well if you get the message out,
facts
and figures on the size of the industry as a whole, whats more American than
guy working on his car on Saturday morning?, charity work the various clubs
do,
group is mainly made of "model citizens" from a politicians
perspective, middle age middle class people with some disposable income who
vote.  There are probably as many or more "car people" as there are
"gun people" and look at the clout the NRA has.

If in fact Len is right and a serious threat to our hobby arises such a
unified
organization will be sorely needed to protect our cars and interests, I am
not
sure if he is right, but the possibility exists.

As I said I was thinking about it, and have somewhat of the background for
it,
but my prospects have stabilized so don't think it will be me, but maybe the
kernel of the idea will get planted and someone will run with it.  Sort of a
timing issue there as well, as the likelihood of such an active broad
organization increases as we get closer to the possibility of legislation
affecting our cars, but ideally the organization would get up and running
early
to attempt to nip goverment action negatively affecting our cars and getting
politician's ears early on.

Greg Lemon
Healeys at autox.team.net