[Healeys] Hardtop rally vent interior treatment

John H jhomonek at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 17 08:09:04 MDT 2009

Tracy,

I restored my BN7 hardtop 2 years ago finishing just before Conclave in Vermont.  As you know it is really difficult to restore these hardtops.  After removing all the trim, the fiberglass wants to resort back to a flatter state and is a challenge to get all the trim back on without scratching or gouging the newly painted shell.  Fortunately, I had plenty of help from our local experts, Sam and Cyndi Marble.  After many hours (20+) and choice words, we were finished with the reassembly and install on the BN7.

Note: before you do any cutting of the top or headliner, temporarily install the headliner frame.  The approximate position may interfere with the left to right cross member of the frame.  I can give you some dims and pics after I go home for lunch in a couple hours.  I will sent those direct and off line.

Once cut, the headliner suspends about 1" below the inside of the top shell.  I made a bezel of packing foam and covered it with the same material for the headliner.  It is light and looks great!  It kind of acts as a gasket or washer between the top shell and bezel holding the headliner tight in place.

Did you vent not come with the interior trim piece or beauty ring as you call it? Mine did and I  painted mine the same satin silver as the uprights in the rear window.

I installed all of the above with stainless phillips head screws with acorn nuts inside.

Back to you soon.

John Homonek
Atlanta AHCA
1959 BN7 - 1974 Jensen Healey