[Healeys] side shift transmission

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Mon Apr 13 09:23:44 MDT 2009

Sounds like weak or non existant detent balls and springs in the 1st gear
shifter hub, or possibly badly worn shifter forks. I've seen those springs
broken and the broken portions of the coils wound back into themselves
negating the thrust required to hold the detent balls into position. Also
the detent springs and balls in the case that hold the shifter rods in
position can cause the same symptoms.
The "knocking" in 1st gear will certainly be worn or galled teeth on the
laygear and 1st gear, along with excess wear of the lay shaft allowing the
teeth to be slightly out of correct pitch when driven.

Rich Chrysler