[Healeys] Stub Axles and Bearings

sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Wed Apr 8 01:18:15 MDT 2009

Blokes

The problem of cracking and weakness at the root of the axle shaft is the lack of material thickness. From the wheel and bearing side is looks like a big sloid lump of axle, have a look in the back, it is very much hollowed out. In Aust. we machine the old axle off, bore out the centre of the remaining stub axle forging and press fit and weld in a new high tensile axle with a locating flange on the back side.

Bearing spacers are well documented in heavy duty industrial transmissions as required to assist with bearing location, pre-setting of running clearances AND to preventing slide on fitting bearings from rotating on the shafts. Trust me.

Normally in high load applications ALL bearings are a press - on fit so that they do not rotate or move on the shaft

Joe