[Healeys] Front wheel bearing 'distance piece'

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Apr 7 23:46:20 MDT 2009

Without spacer the end play in tapered bearings can be adjusted very
easily and accurately, no spacer needed. However for added strenght of
the hub/axel stump a spacer with shims may be fitted, but adjusting the
end float is rather more involved and difficult as you will need a
variety of shims. The torque load of the castelated nut needs to be
established as this will be rather more than the 70ft.lbs specified
without spacer.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL