[Healeys] clutch improvements

Healey.Nut at gmail.com Healey.Nut at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 19:47:21 MDT 2009

I Erbs -

David's idea is a good suggestion, but will require some modifications to
the car.

Another one that will work is, when I had some work done on my BJ8 about 8
years ago, the mechanic (a very good one, actually) made an honest mistake
and swapped the brake and clutch masters on my BJ8 (they are different on
the BJ8). This had the affect of making a VERY hard brake and a VERY soft
clutch pedal.

So... the first thing you can try is to replace your clutch master cylinder
with a brake master cylinder from a BJ8 on your car. You may have to
lengthen the cylinder's pedal rod a bit as the cylinder diameter on the BJ8
brake master is narrower, meaning you will have to push it a little further
to get full clearance to shift without grinding gears.

You can try this first, and then try putting on the BJ8 clutch after that.
Those two things together should make for a very light clutch.

Alan