[Healeys] starting a sleeping Healey

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Apr 3 09:11:22 MST 2009

Block or disconnect the fuel line, clean the area around the spark plugs
very carefully, preferably using air pressure, remove the plugs, inject
a few squirts of first penetrating oil and after 24 hrs engine oil in
each cylinder, change engine oil and filter.
If present, undo a plug of the the oil galery or oil pressure line and
if you have the gear, fit a pump (a modified handpump for grease nipples
filled with engine oil will do) and pump oil under pressure through the
system. Pump several times more oil than the capacity of the oil filter.
Turn the engine by hand a few times to feel if it has some tight spots,
If all is OK, refit the plug in the oil galery and spin the engine on
the starter untill you have oil pressure.
Then refit the sparkplugs and leads, connect the fuel line, check the
ignition points, timing and firing order.

Time for starting up. Don't forget your gas mask.

Kees Oudesluijs