[Healeys] Engine Oil (cont.) - Having list trouble (again)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Apr 2 21:53:15 MST 2009

Mainly because it appears the requirement to reduce zinc and (mainly)
phosphorous doesn't apply to 20W-50 (arguably the best oil for a Big
Healey).  Inertia being what it is, I doubt too many companies would
bother to reformulate any oil they don't have to (unless it's to meet
new SAE requirements; SL, SM, etc.).

AFAIK, no one was required to add ZDDP in the first place.  At first it
was a competitive advantage, but was added by most brands eventually.
Zinc and phosphorous were never reported on the bottle before (though it
might have said something like "improved wear resistance").  That's
changed, at least with VR1.

Note I don't profess to be an expert, but I have done a bit of research
trying to understand the problem.  I recall reading that all ZDDP is
made by just one company--at some point that business model may not be
viable.

Bob

Bob, Why just believe - what does the can label say?

Robert N. Blair  Yellow 65BJ8  rnbmail at yahoo.com

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net