[Healeys] Reproduction British Chrome Question

Mirek and Gwen Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 29 19:14:55 MST 2008

Tom,
you wrote: "I am interested in hearing your experiences with the Brit
replacements, the fit, the finish, and how it compares in price to rechromed
original parts. "

To a degree I think this boils down to personal preference.  I have a very
strong bias to using original parts and will go a long way to reclaim and
re-finish the parts that comprised my BT7 when it originally left the
factory.  I just finished having a complete rebuild of the body done and it
looks sensational. I re-plated most, but not all the chrome and paid top
dollar for it, but looks as good as the original chrome.  My advice is take
time to find a really good chrome shop - talk to people who have show
quality cars or motorcycles (the Harley restoration crowd usually demands
very high quality chrome) and go by reputation.  It will cost more that
replacement parts, but you know you have the real thing and that is will fit
properly.  To give you some idea what I paid, the bumpers were $600 each,
overiders $75 each, hood grill (both pieces) $225.  I did not have every
piece done and I put about $2500 into chrome, but it is a flawless, mirror
finish and worth every penny.

Cheers,

Mirek