[Healeys] Sprite Identification

Ronald J. Ray ronald-ray at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 29 18:43:38 MST 2008

I am trying to obtain some information for a Austin Healey Sprite.  There
seems to be some contradictions with the numbers and the car.

The title states the Bugeye is a 1961, which is reasonable since November
1960 was the last production period.
The title states the id number as 9CHH44386.  This appears to be similar to
an engine number from a 948 engine.  Is this correct, and if so, is it odd
for it to be the title id number?

The chassis number plate, which is held in place by two phillips head
screws, is HAN9U/73697G.  I believe this corresponds to a late 1967 or early
1968 build date for a Mark IV box Sprite.  Is this correct?

The engine in the car is in 1275 but there is no engine number plate on the
top of the block.
The transmission is a rib case type.
The radiator is a cross-flow type which I think would have been original to
a 1275 engine.
The brake master cylinder appears to be the type for a car with a 1275
engine.
The steering column appears to be the type for a car with a 1275 engine.

The confusion is in the id number on the title and the chassis id number,
although someone could have easily change out the chassis number.

Are there any other identification numbers anywhere on a Bugeye that might
clarify the actual chassis number?

Thanks.
  Ron Ray