[Healeys] Real Racing??

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Oct 29 10:01:42 MST 2008

In a message dated 10/29/08 9:09:51 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> At the 2002 50th on the Thruxton Motor Circuit, two
> big Healeys got pranged and one spun into the tires so hard that it was
> almost gone from the windscreen forwar

With all due respect to the Europeans who might be reading this list, I've
been to Goodwood twice, as well as to one of the club meets at Silverstone. As a
vintage driver myself (four times at the Monterey Historics) and having
discussed this question with other drivers who have been back and forth...
My personal viewpoint is that the European drivers don't drive any better
than the American drivers; they're just much more intent on winning, and since
many of them, especially at Goodwood, are hired hotshoes, they don't seem to
care as much about taking care of the cars.
Another interpretation is that in the U.S. we have SCCA racing for those who
want to race at the amateur and semi-pro level in a series that awards winners
with better sponsorship and publicity, and that's where all the paint-trading
and who-cares racing goes on. In Europe, vintage racing seems to be the only
outlet they have for that kind of competitive urge.
Just my personal opinion.
Cheers
Gary