[Healeys] Webers

Warthodson at aol.com Warthodson at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 09:23:52 MDT 2008

Joe,
Thanks for the additional information. The car will be LH drive & I am  in a
position to modify the foot box area, but in the final analysis, this may  be
the deal breaker for Webers.
I am considering a loose replica (or "tribute") of the racing (not rally)
works cars. It would have a hardtop with vent, cowl air scoop, carb access
panel, modified grille work, etc. It will not be an exact copy of any one
specific car.
The mechanical specs. are intended to produce additional power (above  BJ8
specs.) while still maintaining street drivability. The car will not be  road
raced. I envision the following:
capable of using premium pump fuel, therefore 10:1 compression  maximum.
Bored out .060", although some have advised against this. Cam: slightly
hotter than a BJ8 cam. I have been told Elgin has a good grind which is
described
as something like 268 degree cam. Further investigation is  required.
An exhaust header. I would anticipate a red line of approx 5500 to  6000.
Other Mods. would probably be limited to reliability items such as  lightened
&
balanced engine components (including flywheel, rods, pistons),  Petronix
ignition & perhaps a roller rocker. Please feel free make  suggestions.
I know from experience that Webers are great carbs, but was (am)  concerned
about the challenge of tuning them, especially for good street  drivability. I
was anticipating needing to choke down the 45DCOE's with 32 to  36 main
ventures. I am hoping someone has a 3000 with specs. similar to the  above
that
could provide their complete "jetting" specs. as a good starting  point.
My belief is that properly setup Webers should be capable of producing a
street drivable engine with MPG comparable to the same engine with properly
set
up SU's.
The challenge lies in arriving at the correct setup & that can be a BIG
challange.
Gary

Gary
What is the spec. or your planned spec. of the engine?
How do you intend to use the car?

no registration required and great graphics b check it out!