[Healeys] Heat Shield Material

Rick Swain rjswain at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 08:20:45 MDT 2008

This is a question specifically for Canadian listers. Does anyone know of a
source for a suitable substitute for asbestos heat shield material? I got some
material a few years back and made new shields but it wasn't waterproof and
disintegrated fairly quickly. I decided to try a cement board like the Hardie
backerboard suggested a number of times by US listers. The problem is that I
can only find it in 1/2" thickness. I've checked with Home Hardware, Home
Depot and a number of other building supply dealers. None of these suppliers
can locate cement board in anything but 1/2" thickness in Canada.

Thanks for any suggestions

Rick Swain
'59 BN4 (beginning to look like it could possibly be a car again)