[Healeys] FW: Things that make you go Hmm!

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:16:09 MDT 2008

How old are your valve springs? Richard> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:09:53
-0400> From: rchaskell at earthlink.net> To: ynotink at msn.com> CC:
healeys at autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Things that make you go
Hmm!> > Bill,> > If the valve stuck open for a bit, there'd be enough
clearance for the push > rod to drop out. I've heard that the silicon-bronze
valve guides are more > likely to cause this. Don't know if that applies here
----------------------------------------> >> From: ynotink at msn.com> >> To:
healey-bounces at autox.team.net> >> Subject: Things that make you go Hmm!> >>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:25:43 +0000> >>> >>> >> On the way to the parts
store in my BN1 yesterday I had a sudden failure> > complete with popping
sounds and power loss and hissing noises. I thought I> > had blown another
head gasket, but unable to reach my wife to bring a tow> > vehicle I limped
home.> >> I started to disassemble in preparation for repairing the gasket,
the head> > and block surfaces if needed etc. but I only got as far as the
valve cover> > when I discovered the problem. The pushrod on the #3 exhaust
valve had become> > disengaged from the lifter and rocker.> >> I pulled the
rocker shaft and retrieved the pushrod to discover that it was> > perfectly
straight and undamaged. When i reassembled the rocker shaft and> > checked
valve clearances the setting was correct. (I run a 3/4 race Isky cam> > and
the recommended valve clearance is 0.018"). I ran the other valves and> >
found no discrepancies. After reassembly she started and ran with no problem.>
> I was not revving the engine very high and 4,000 RPM is about as tight as I>
> wrap it.> >> Despite the noise and the terrible miss there was no harm done
and the> > repair was pretty simple, but I would like to avoid this in the
future.> >> Has anyone had this experience? Are there any ideas as to what
would cause> > this to happen? Is 0.018" enough slack to allow the pushrod to
jump out of its> > position? I know that some people use bucket lifters that
might have helped> > avoid this. What lifters and pushrods do they use?> >>>