[Healeys] Finally starting the restoration

Jody Kerr jodyfkerr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 20:18:32 MDT 2008

Hey Folks,

So the temperatures are finally dropping here in Phoenix. This means I
get to spend more time out in the garage. Having been walking into the
garage for a few months now and seeing my forlorn Healey sitting there
I finally broke down and started on the project (yes, I realize I have
two other project ongoing, but hey, so it goes).

Spent the first part of the weekend on the loose parts inventory. I've
got lots of wierd bits floating around, but also some good things on
hand like a spare starter, distributor, and dynamo (which sounds far
more cool than generator or alternator).

Sunday I reattached a number of the parts that were laying loose (the
driver's side door, and other pieces). With that done I was able to
assess that the car really is 90-95% complete (although a lot will
need to be replaced). Short of having the wrong transmission and no
soft fabrics it's looking feaily good.

Last night and this evening I stripped all the lights off the car.
They're in pretty rough shape but the guts are there. Then, after
using the nifty wishlist feature at Moss, I quickly remembered why I
stick with cheap cars.... $500.00 for all the necessary bits to
restore the lights. eesh. Now I remember why I don't restore expensive
cars.

If you're bored I wrote it up on my website and shot some video. Next
it's going to be restoring those bits I removed, storing them away for
reassembly and tackling the exhaust system.

Jody

--
http://www.theymightberacing.com/
1953 Studebaker Champion