[Healeys] 100M Engine Bay Paint Color

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 11:05:08 MDT 2008

Bob,

I too have done quite a bit of research on this issue over the years and it
appears that many of the 100s painted in Old English white had not only the
engine bays painted black but other areas on the chassis were painted black
as well.

The following link shows the restoration of Sarah Frost's 100M by Lynn
Martin of Forever Healeys and page 3 of the restoration photos documents the
amount of either black paint on the chassis, or the original dark brown
primer that was never painted body color since these areas were masked by
other body panels when the car was painted at the factory.

http://www.foreverhealeys.com/M/Documentation2/Austin%20Healey100MWelcome.htm

I discussed these issues with Lynn when he restored the car and he sent be
still photographs of the original chassis and the areas obviously pained
black.

Cheers,

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{) '72 RWA Midget, '06 Cooper S