[Healeys] The ultimate question

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Oct 3 10:48:09 MDT 2008

In a message dated 10/3/08 9:19:32 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> What wasn't known
> was that zillions of years beforehand someone asked the ultimate
> question, the answer to which was "42". The question had long been
> forgotten so a new super computer was built called - EARTH.

I'm trusting only to my memory here (my copy of the book with the legend
"Don't Panic" on the cover is tucked away somewhere with my bath towel, so I'm
clearly not prepared to travel). But if memory serves, the answer to "What is the
meaning of life, the universe and everything?" was what the world-computer
was built to seek. The answer, as divulged much later in the story, is in fact,
"42" which does make a peculiar sort of sense if you convert it into binary.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Gary