[Healeys] Steering lever removal

Stephen Hutchings s.hutchings at rogers.com
Wed Nov 26 10:30:16 MST 2008

I'm having a hell of a time removing the steering levers from the
idler and steering box.
I soaked the area in penetrant for days, then applied some heat (not
the serious, de-tempering kind) and used my puller, but the force I
had to use made me fear I'd break the pulling "ears" on the arms.
They are back to soaking while I think about this.
It occurred to me that it might be effective to put in a spacer and
screw the castellated nut back on, which would theoretically get it
moving further on to the splines , and once it's moving make it
easier to withdraw.
Any thoughts from the more experienced?
Thanks,
Stephen, BJ8