[Healeys] Hd-8 diaphragms

Wayne Waschu2 at charter.net
Tue Nov 25 16:03:33 MST 2008

Hello List,

               I thought I would update the list as to what I found with
my leaking HD-8 carburetor diaphragms. What I had installed five years
ago where the Blue / Green diaphragms. After five years and 1500 miles
the parts of the jet  diaphragms exposed to the fuel had turned brittle
and black with numerous small cracks causing my leaks. The parts of the
diaphragms not exposed to the fuel was still soft and pliable. I talked
to Joe Curto today and he said "he has his own  diaphragms parts made
and has not had a history of people complaining about leaks."  Joe said
his current diaphragms are black rubber. The current M*** parts are also
black rubber, but I don't know their source. There are also new
diaphragms made by a company in Australia that are black  and are sold
by Sports and Classics. They also state "they have no history of
complaints." I do not know the source of the Blue / Green diaphragms and
I do not recall who I bought them from, but I don't think I would use
them again based on my experience. Alcohol free fuel does not seem  to
be available in my area of Connecticut. This is also a major problem for
my late Eighties boat with a Johnson outboard with a built in fiberglass
fuel tank.  Ethanol fuel has become a major Pain in my Ass and has cost
me a lot of money and grief and poor gas millage with my daily driver.  :(

                                        Wayne