[Healeys] engine/tranny re-install

John Loftus loftusdesign at cox.net
Sat Nov 22 12:30:01 MST 2008

Brad,

I opted to install the motor/gearbox as one unit in my BJ7. It went in
that way at the factory and came out that way during the restoration so
felt pretty confident that it could be done. ;)

Below are some links to images showing the process I used. Note that I
removed the gear box lid for extra clearance (this removes the stick
shift extension which stick up higher) and covered the opening with
tape. I also kept the motor mount brackets off and re-installed them
just before setting the motor into final position.

Then, because of a rear seal leak problem it was necessary to remove the
gearbox through the interior. Re-installing the gearbox was a bit of a
pain. There isn't much clearance around the bell housing and getting the
motor and gearbox aligned/level so the two could be mated up was a
challenge. I ended up getting it done using levels, a transmission jack
and applying some pressure with a piece of 2x4 wood on the back of gearbox.

For the motor/gearbox unit install I had a helper (seen in one of the
images). For the gearbox only install it was just me. So both ways are
possible but I found the 'installing as one unit' much easier.

http://www.loftusdesign.net/install1.jpg
http://www.loftusdesign.net/install2.jpg
http://www.loftusdesign.net/install3.jpg
http://www.loftusdesign.net/install4.jpg