[Healeys] engine/tranny re-install

tomleavy at comcast.net tomleavy at comcast.net
Sat Nov 22 09:06:17 MST 2008

Hi Brad-

I removed and later reinstalled them as one unit (with the shroud off). I
purchased the lift brackets that attach to the rocker studs. I didn't have
access to a tilting mechanism, so I set the angle by adjusting the length of
chain on either side of the hoist hook, and then bolted through the chain on
either side of the hook.B

For me, this was a one man operation. It's easier with two, so one guy can
lift the tranny tail over the "radiator support" sheetmetal as you push the
hoist rearward, and then push down on the tail as it passes under the
firewall. It's helpful, as stated, to protect any new paint from the 700 lb
monster swinging in- namely steering column tube, scuttle areas, throttle
linkage/firewall. I taped cardboard in place in lieu of carpet. I also used a
floor jack to push the rear of the tranny up as the front of the engine was
lowered down. If you need to discuss further, contact me off list and I'l be
happy to send you my tel. number. Good luck!

Tom