[Healeys] Healey vs. Mustang - Pt. I

Chris Masucci csooch1 at aol.com
Sat Nov 1 12:28:21 MST 2008

Bob,

Common problem grinding into gear with the T-45 trans used in the Mustang GT
1999-2002 or 3, and more so with the TR-3650.  Many have had theirs replaced
for that same problem, only to have the new trans do the same thing in 5K
miles.  I tried varying amounts of friction modifier from 0-8oz in several
oils including redline, amsoil, mobil 1, shell snythetic, and valvoline.
There may have been others that I forget.  The ONLY way that I was ever able
to improve things in my T-45 or several friends TR-3650's was to use Royal
Purple Synchromax oil in the gearbox, with NO friction modifier.

I used to drag race mine a lot and hitting second without grind was always a
problem, until I put that Synchromax in it.  Much smoother.  It took a day
or two to really improve things, but right away the shifting was better.

Cheers,
Chris
BJ8
'00 GT (retired)