[Healeys] Ceramic vs. Jet Hot ?

Neil Anderson nlaredbt7 at tbc.net
Wed May 28 08:50:05 MDT 2008

Alan,

Jet Hot is a ceramic coating or more correctly, a metallic ceramic coating.
The silver, high gloss ceramic coatings are water based and doubt if they
coantain any polycarbonates.  The black and grey ceramic coatings are
usually solvent based.

You may not see too much of a difference of under bonnet heat reduction,
although that is usually one of the selling points the product manufacturers
contend.  You would have to conduct heat comparison tests of coated and
uncoated headers/exhaust pipes under indentical running conditions in your
Healey to see if you observe any benefit to coated headers.  If you were
running a big V-8 race car, there would be a noticeable difference,
especially if the insides were coated too.

The best reasons, I believe, for using cemamic coatings for street cars is
appearance and not having to recoat them frequently because of the way they
retain adhesion of the coating at exhaust temps.  The appearance of the
nicest looking engine bay can be ruined by rusty manifolds and exhaust
pipes.

Hope this helps.

Neil Anderson
'60 BT7