[Healeys] Mail Enquiry

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed May 28 07:08:30 MDT 2008

This must be the approach that one has to take nowadays if the desire is to buy and sell as many Healeys as possible.  Seems like a pretty expensive and labor intensive way to go about it, but it must be worth it.  I have not yet received my letter from Mr. Kumar, but it'll probably be along any time now.

To drift slightly away from the subject:  before everyone became so sensitive to personal information in public records being distributed for commercial reasons, it was possible to obtain (for a price) a complete list by VIN of all the (Healey, Ford, Toyota, etc.) cars registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles, including names/addresses of owners.  I have a friend who has been self-employed for 30 years buying and selling classic cars.  He obtained such lists from quite a few states back when it was possible to do so.  He used the lists to call the owners to see if they were interested in selling their cars and was able to put some beans on the table that way.

I for one was certainly glad that he had those lists, which he allowed me to copy,  because most states have now purged and destroyed those records.  They provide a wealth of otherwise unobtainable history on who owned a particular VIN from the '60s through the '90s.  Since most Healey owners are curious about that, it's a valuable resource.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA