[Healeys] Fw: Gearbox and Overdrive finally separated

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Sat May 24 04:22:45 MDT 2008

Agreed. Been there, done that and the t-shirt cost me about a thousand quid.
Incidentally, going back to the origins of the question, I couldn't separate
my od from my gearbox at all. Well, about an inch and three quarters. I took
the whole mess up to OD Spares & they had enormous trouble getting them
apart. The od had done the gears into shrapnel trick and the thing had
locked on to the mainshaft in a Vulcan deathgrip. It took three of us to get
it off. Loads of brute force and ignorance. (I did the latter).
The mainshaft was totalled but the gearbox was fine. So, if you have to get
another mainshaft, remember that they are not all the same and be sure that
the one you are offered is true ie 100% straight.

OD Spares are very good, but not convenient if you're thousands of miles
away...
http://www.odspares.com/

Simon