[Healeys] Separation of Overdrive from gearbox

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Wed May 21 17:24:24 MDT 2008

Hi Ken,
That is not an unusual problem. I believe it is caused by the unidirectional
clutch being heavily preloaded against the gearbox third motion shaft
splines.
You may find that you can relieve this preload by hammering lightly on the
casing of the overdrive unit in the area of the cone clutch, however be
careful not to crack the aluminium casing.
To prevent this in the future, before removing the gearbox it is essential
that the vehicle's clutch be depressed as the overdrive is disengaged which
will allow the cone clutch to move to the direct drive condition while the
unidirectional clutch is unloaded.
Good luck.

Michael Salter
100 (1953)