[Healeys] Hot Healeys

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun May 18 23:01:54 MDT 2008

Hmmmm ... I fail to see why exhaust wrap would cause more water in the
downpipes after shutdown than no wrap.  If anything, the retained heat
would boil the water off more completely.   Conventional wisdom is that
the water that rusts out exhausts comes from short trips that don't
allow the system to heat up enough to boil off condensed moisture
(witness the steam coming from exhausts when engines and ambient temps
are cold).  I take mostly long trips in my Healey, and I've yet to rust
out an exhaust (I've battered several to death, however, over nearly
100K miles).  If anything, more heat in the exhaust is a good thing WRT
rust.  IMO, stainless steel is a waste of money in a Healey--you'll
trash a muffler before it rusts, mild or stainless.

I built "Frankenmuffler" from stock (Ansa) piping and aftermarket
glasspacks--no baffles, but the fiberglass packing may not survive the
heat.  The Ansa muffler was glasspacks too, with no internal baffling.
I've heard from various sources that all Healey mufflers--including
OEM--were glasspacks (that's been my experience so far).

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net