[Healeys] Roadside failures

Leonard Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Thu May 15 20:30:01 MDT 2008

I initially responded directly to David with the following comments
(slightly modified).
Then I read all the lists of problems that Listers have had and I was
reminded of a couple of more of mine:

In 38 years and over 143,000 mileS of ownership, my Healey has never
left me stranded on the road.  I have had my share of flat tires.
I would make one strong recommendation here.  Carry one or two small fold-up
wheel chocks.  If jacking up the car on the side of the road, expecially on
dirt, gravel, or an incline,
one does not want the car rolling off the jack.

I had coil and rotor problems with my Allison/Crane Opto Electric ignition
system.  It
kept burning up coils and carbon-tracking rotors.  I carry spares and even
mounted
a coil near the horns for a while so all I had to do was move the wires.
Since switching to
Pertronix, I have not had this problem.

Fuel pump, of course.  This did not create a roadside failure but the pump
kept pumping
continuously.  Bad valve.  Made a new one out of plastic in the hotel
parking lot.

Years ago, I was known for having problems with my exhaust system.  It kept
coming apart.  This hasn't been a problem for a long time.

The transmission locked in fourth gear.  Was able to get it home driving in
fourth standard
and OD.  Found that there was no 'pad' in the bell housing so it was going
too far into gear
and jamming.  Inserted a pieceof gasket material.  Problem solved.  This, of
course, was
a problem that could be resolved roadside.

Not really a Healey failure, but got the "Klutz" award at the 1986 Whistler,
BC, event
for running into myself.  Trailer hitch broke while towing the Healey and it
ran into
the spare tire on the back of the van.  Put a wrinkle in the left front
fender without breaking the headlight.

ADDED:

Speedo stopped working.  Angle drive had fallen apart.  All the parts were
sitting on the frame when I got home.

Ignition switch wore out.  Assembled a new one with the original key
tumblers.  Also added a push button under the dash as a back-up against
future failures.

Battery cut-off switch in trunk failed at home.  Spring had flattened out
causing loss of electrical contact.  Rebuilt.

Years ago I spun the LRW on its spline.

A wire fell off the coil one time.

Luckily:   no wheel bearing problems, no engine problems, no major
overheating problems
(except climbing the grade out of Salt Lake City.  Vapor lock.  Poured ice
water over the fuel line and proceeded
on), no drive train problems, no other problems that come to mind.

Now that we have discussed it, my car will probably disintegrate on the way
to San Diego.    :-(

Len