[Healeys] Positive Ground Power Outlet for Accessories

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Wed May 14 22:35:16 MDT 2008

Ron:

It can be risky.  Any item with electronics in it - cell 'phone, CB, etc.
must not have any metal part that is internally grounded come in contact
with any metal on the car chassis - under dash screws, heater cables,etc.
If this happens, the item plugged in to the power socket will quickly fry
it's electronics.

Many of us have simply converted our Healeys to NEG ground - it's not really
all that difficult - a bit more to do on a BJ8 because the internal tach
power leads have to be interchanged as part of the conversion process.  If
you are not opposed to doing this, I would suggest it as a good choice to
solve your problem.  You would still have to install the power socket, but
you wouldn't have to worry about electrically isolating anything, and you
wouldn't need a converter - so basically no cost.

There are probably many write ups on how to do this on various different
Healey websites.  I would be willing to walk you through it via e-mail.  One
thing to note:  If you have an POS ground electronic ignition already
installed, you would have to change it for a NEG ground unit - most of them
are wired either / or.

Someone such as Norman Nock would be best to advise you on the wisdom of
fusing the ignition circuit - I'm not all that certain that it's a good
thing to do.  It is potentially another thing that could give trouble and
possibly stop the engine at a critical moment.

Anyone else able to comment on this?

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb