[Healeys] Roadside failures

Awgertoo at aol.com Awgertoo at aol.com
Wed May 14 16:25:53 MDT 2008

Richard--

The wheel won't stay on the car if the hub comes apart.

I had such an experience last year at Shendandoah while racing my Elva
Courier which uses a Morris/Riley (same as Sprite only two inches  wider) rear
axle.  The left rear hub sheared in two as if it had been  placed in a bagel
slicer and the outer half of the hub along with the  wheel, brake drum, and axle
shaft all slid out of the axle tube about 24".   The inner half of the hub
remained firmly attacehd to the axle tube and the nut  even stayed on.

Luckily this happened in a slow right turn and the car ran aground on  the
differential and came to a stop on the macadam.  Aside from  having to weld a
new end on the tube and replace the hub and half-shaft there  was no real damage
done.  BTW I was using double-bearing hubs and  hardened shafts.

Best--Michael Oritt

In a message dated 5/14/2008 5:46:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,