[Healeys] Tramp Rods options

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Wed May 14 08:25:51 MDT 2008

> Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 07:18:53 -0700
> From: "Marvin James" <britcrs at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] tramp rods
> To: "John Rowe" <jarowe at westnet.com.au>
> Cc: Healey List <healeys at autox.team.net>
>
> On the 100 tramp bars interfere with the stock exhaust aft of the muffler.
> The 6 cyl cars may have the same problem.
> Marv J

6-cyl tramp rods options:

Side exhaust:
1) Welch or Cape tramp rods & Stebro side exhaust--now being made again at
http://www.stebro.com.
Rode in a Stebro-exhaust BN7 last weekend--it's loud but not as loud as a
stock muffler with side exhaust, which is way too loud.

Full length exhaust:
2) build triangulated A-frame, extending under the frame from the x-member
to a ball-joint welded adjacent to the pumpkin part of the axle. This is a
slick setup, but may decrease ground clearance slightly. One of the posters
on the British Car Forum has pix of this, but I don't have the link handy.
In addition, this setup provides sideways location so the Watt link is no
longer needed.

3) on my website I have pictures of a BJ8-style top-axle radius arm setup in
progress.  http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow
BJ8-style has the problem of the radius arms being non-adjustable as well as
the insertion of the axle attachment point under the rubber bump decreases
axle travel on a roadster--though in practice I haven't had any complaints.

4) also have an idea sketch of what I think is a better design as an
alternative to 3) above.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA