[Healeys] more tranny conversion Nash Healey

F. Ronald Rader f.ronald.rader at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:11:35 MDT 2008

Bill (and Doug)

I have a 65 BJ8 which I have tried to keep as complete stock as possible. It
is fun to drive but for me at 64 I cannot drive it for more than 1.5 to 2
hours at a time.

We also have a 67 E  FHC that has wildwood brakes and A/C which we have put
37,000 miles on in 5 years taking it on classic car rallies.

Our preference is old cars that are user friendly.

My plans for this car are to drive it from LA to SF for the 1000 miles of
the CA Mille, and to ship it to Colorado for the Colorado grand, also a 1000
mile in 4 day event.

Having just return from the CA mille I can tell you that the three speed, no
syncro first, with electric / servo OD derived from 1930's technology was no
fun to drive thru the mountains.

We have changed from bias ply to radial tires. We are installing a heavier
duty front roll bar. We hand made a spectacular set of stainless headers
(because no one had plans for the originals. And now we are looking for ways
to change the tranny to a tremec or Gertag five speed.

These upgrades will allow us to comfortably use this car on long rallies
where many will get to see and enjoy this car. Most will not care that it
has radials or a 5 speed.

If there were only 5 of these cars and we where trying to put them in a
museum that would be different.

Others may choose to create museum pieces or trailer queens.

We prefer to make safe, fun, roadworthy cars that we can drive.

That is why they make 31 flavors.

Ron

1965 BJ8

1966 GT 350 H