[Healeys] Prius loving Healey owners

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Fri May 9 16:48:38 MDT 2008

Richard:

Good Question.

My First Answer:

If you read my email closely you wil note that I said "high mileage cars"
not "hybrids."  There are many alternatives to Hybrids including the Smart
car (about 45 mpg) and VW diesels which are making their way to the US now
(also same MPG range).

My Second Answer:

The Warranty on the Prius is 8 years and 100,000 miles, so cost should not
concern you in this regards.  Even so, as I understand it there has been
almost no failures in the second generation Prius batttery packs so far,
with regular/standard use that is.  I think first generation hybrids had
some problems, but they've been mostly fixed with the newer versions.

My Third Answer:

Regardless of the technical answer I'd rather do that then keep sending
money to the middle east or Venezuela.  Last I checked they don't make
batteries there.  The batteries in the Prius are made in Japan.  Thankfully
they haven't tried to kill us in about 65 years and in fact they tend to set
up factories in our country to give our people jobs!

Alan