[Healeys] BN1 or BN2 Transmission Conversion

Awgertoo at aol.com Awgertoo at aol.com
Sat May 3 14:35:02 MDT 2008

Doug--

I have a Smitty's conversion on my  BN1 with the Toyota W58 transmission.  Do
you have the Smitty's  installation manual?  It has all the information you
need--ditch the  mechanical linkage and go over to a hydraulic master/slave
set-up, it's  great.  I eventually upgraded to a BJ8 diaphragm clutch and it is
light and positive.

Probably the most daunting aspect  of the conversion was the replacement of
the BN1 transmission tunnel with a  proper one to fit the Smitty bell housing.
The BN1 tunnel is  very small  and I used the Moss FG tunnel for a 100-6,
filled the  side-shift hole and cut it to fit--it replaced both the front and
intermediate sections, though I did have to fabricate a new extension  panel.  I
know the BN2 tunnel is larger than that for the BN1 and  perhaps it will
accommodate the Smitty's bell housing.

If you or anyone else need any  information contact me offllist--I can point
you to several good sites on  Toyota transmission ID and selection but the
list server will strip the  links.

Best--Michael  Oritt

In a message dated 5/3/2008 8:52:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,