[Healeys] su fuel pump

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri May 2 17:32:35 MDT 2008

Ron,

The new electronic SU pumps make a tapping or knocking sound instead of
a click.

The terminal on the body of the pump is the ground.  The terminal on the
end of the pump is for current from the battery.  If you put the red
lead on your voltmeter on the ground, and the black lead on the negative
terminal you should see +12V (if you reverse them you'll see -12V on a
digital voltmeter).   If you have the correct DVM reading and the pump
doesn't make any noise it may be defective.  If there's no voltage there
may be a problem with your ignition switch. I do think if these pumps
sit on the shelf a long time the diaphragm may get stiff and the pump
may not operate--your call whether to open the pump up or send it back
(note there isn't anything to adjust in the electronic pumps besides the
initial tension on the diaphragm).

If your starter works there is nothing wrong with your cutoff switch.

bs