[Healeys] Another Healey Ressurected

Carlos Cruz healey3000bn7 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 13:28:43 MST 2008

Hi Rich,

  That was one of the best reads on this list in a long time.  Thanks for sharing and for your efforts keeping these cars on the road.  Congratulations!

  Cheers,
  Carlos

Rich C <richchrysler at quickclic.net> wrote:
  Hello all,

I just have to share this with the list.

I have been experiencing the pleasure of working on a very special '54 BN1
that has spent almost its entire life in dry storage. To make a long story
short, it now has only 4123 original miles. Pictures of this car can be seen
here:
http://www.ahcso.com/AHCSOPhotoAlbums/2008-2-23_Chrysler-Tech-Session/AHCSO%2
0February%20Tech%20Session.pdf
These pictures were taken during a tech session I hosted in February for our
Southern Ontario Chapter of AHCA.
This car is also special in that it is one of only 7 cars factory painted in
Gunmetal Grey Metallic with Scarlet trim.
The original owner pased away in 2000 and the family finally allowed the car
to be sold last October to a local good friend of mine. If I couldn't have the
car myself, at least I was able to get it to an excellent home, and I get to
maintain it for the new owners. Lucky me.

The car has been here for a couple of months now, while we reworked everything
that needed attention including cleaning all the fuel system, flushing and
renewing all fluids, oils, filter, hydraulics completely rebuilt, cooling
system cleaned, new antifreeze mixture, replaced all hoses, fan belt, tires
and tubes (took off the original 54 year old Dunlop Roadspeeds) replaced
exhaust system, new batteries, and so on.

Yesterday I removed the original Champion NA8 plugs and span the engine up on
the starter until oil pressure appeared on the gauge. Then the spark plugs
were reinstalled, the original plug wires were snapped on, and the points were
checked for gap and cleanliness. A good spark snapped away at the Lucas
points, being supplied by the original Lucas coil and condensor. I poured
about a gallon of fresh fuel into the tank.

Now for the moment of truth. Ignition switch on, original (fully cleaned) HP
fuel pump ticked up to pressure and held. Pulled choke out and pressed the
starter botton. She span over twice and immediately started and settled to a
smooth idle of about 1350 RPM with 55 PSI on the oil gauge.
A quick check around everywhere and no leaks. Burned of some initial oil smoke
which cleared within about 40 seconds. I brought her up to full temperature
and shut off cleanly. Radiator overflow spit out a bit to find her level.

She was truly happy to be alive, she told me so!

Forgive my gushing, I just had to share this.

Rich Chrysler
Healeys at autox.team.net

You are subscribed as healey3000bn7 at yahoo.com

http://www.team.net/archive